Search Confusion

More
15 years 8 months ago #1028 by Nolly
Replied by Nolly on topic Search Confusion
Hi, I have already read that topic. I am familiar with what the topic discusses and although I have been careful with
my editing, it is possible I have made a mistake. There is far too much editing that I have done over a long period
of time to know where the corruption might be.

I have just tried my divide the file experiment and even will a greatly reduced file, I still get the same problem.

I am beginning to wonder if a modification I made back in the days of 1.6 has come back to haunt me.
I modified the page code because I was getting 11 messages to a page when I had set it for 10. It works fine.
Is it possible that this could be an issue?

I guess I could fill a couple of pages with some dummy messages and then see if the problem is still apparant.

Norman

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 years 8 months ago #1029 by Nolly
Hi Pete,

Just created a new message file (0 bytes) and then entered four messages - flood protection disabled.

My Search problem is still there so I have to suspect the modification I made to to the code a long time ago.

I do vaguely remember looking at the Search code a long time ago and could not get my head around it.

Anyway, it is time to hit the sack.

Merry Xams.

Norman

More
15 years 8 months ago #1031 by Nolly
Hi Pete.

In order to take out the guesswork and to eliminate my data file (list.txt) and my modifcations,
I have re-installed the Guestbook and only changed that which is necessary to get it working,
that is, changed the permissions on the list.txt, etc.

My list.txt (possible corrupted) still gives the problem so it is nothing to do with my modification
to the page numbers as I am using the original code. So, could it be a corrupt list.txt.

I have gone back to an empty list.txt to eliminate my list.txt.

To enable me to enter messages rapidly, I have disabled the need for name and email and
have also disabled image verification.

I have enter some very short mesaages. Four of these messages have the word Frobisher
in them. If I search for the word Frobisher, I get three messages with the word Frobisher
in them. I understand why I get three. At the bottom of the page I have,

[1] [2]

I assume this means that with four messages containing the search word and with a limit of three per page,
I will have two pages. The first page will have the first three messages and the second page will have the
fourth message. However the links generated must be incorrect. The links are,

[1] == www.series34.info/gb/search.php ? ... =frobisher
[2] == www.series34.info/gb/search.php ? ... =frobisher

Clicking on either link takes me to a page with the search form and the words
underneath,

"Please enter a search term and try again."

I cannot see what I have done wrong. Are you sure that the code is generating the correct links?

I note that the version of search.php packaged with DigiOz Gusetbook v1.7.2, is Beta17. Is that correct?

My expectation in the example above, is to have two pages which I can switch between with the links
[1] & [2]. One will have three messages and the other will have one message.

Norman

More
15 years 8 months ago #1037 by Pete
Replied by Pete on topic Search Confusion
Norman,

I am still not able to duplicate your issue with search results. Here is what I want you to do:

1. Install a brand new guestbook instance in a completely different and new directory on your server. Make sure that it is the default code and NOT your modified version of the code. Also, keep ALL the settings as default settings.

2. Enter multiple entries into the guestbook (enough to give you a few pages of entries).

3. Perform search on this new guestbook and let me know of the result.

Also, send me your PHPInfo information from your server.

Thanks
Pete

DigiOz Webmaster
www.digioz.com

More
15 years 8 months ago #1038 by Nolly
Hi Pete,

I had done the first part already to be sure that I had an unadulterated copy of the guestbook files.
Anyway, I have created a completely new incarnation of the guestbook. The only modifications
are the permissions (properties) on the txt files in the data folder.

I have entered five messages in the guestbook.

The guestbook can be found at,

www.series34.info/guestbook_test/

I have a copy of the phpinfo() in an mht file.

I have tried to attach the file but the forum does not accept an mht extention so I have changed it to txt.
I am not convinced that the file has been attached but we will see.

Thanks,
Norman

More
15 years 8 months ago - 11 years 2 weeks ago #1041 by Nolly
OK, I have ZIPped the mht file with the phopinfo and attached it.

File Attachment:

File Name: phpinfo.zip
File Size:16 KB

Thanks,
Norman
Attachments:
Last edit: 11 years 2 weeks ago by Pete.

Time to create page: 0.128 seconds