Spam - Referer

More
18 years 3 months ago #147 by Norman
Spam - Referer was created by Norman
I am not using the Image Verication (yet) and the Gustbook is getting a fair amount of spam. I am wondering is I have modified config.php correctly. Should I configure 'IP Adress of Your Site' or IP Address of Your Server'.

Help with how to find the IP Address of whatever one is correct would be appreciated.

I have set it up but have I done it correctly :?

Thanks, Norman

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 years 3 months ago #151 by Norman
Replied by Norman on topic Spam - Referer
Please, please, someone, anyone. Can you help me with the issue raised.

Thanks, Norman

More
18 years 3 months ago #160 by thetech
Replied by thetech on topic Spam - Referer
Hello Norman. Sorry, I cant comment on the PHP part as I had problems with that part of it myself.. However, I can highly recommend that you implement the Image Verification. I have not had a single auto-spam post on my site since doing so.

I would also recommend that when you do implement it that you edit the supplied image background graphics and make them much 'paler' because they are too 'heavy' and make some characters impossible to read. (there are 5 of them, back1.jpg to back5.jpg)

More
18 years 3 months ago #161 by Norman
Replied by Norman on topic Spam - Referer
Thanks 'thetech'.

I have fallen foul of image verification on other sites where it has been difficult to discern some of the characters. I am fairly sure that the users will not like the image verification even if they can discern the characters..

As the Guestbook is really being used as a Message Board, what I may do is as follows:

a) use an approach where specific users are allowed to post messages
b) use a user's email address and one other unique piece of information to allow a post
c) possibly remove the email address but save it to a file
d) make email addresses available to specific users, using the criteria in b) above
e) I may simply place a Username/Password on the Guestbook directory

I realise that a Guestbook needs to be 'open' to all but as I said, the use is that of a message board, so it can be made more secure without the need for image verification, etc.

Norman

Time to create page: 0.119 seconds