SPAM

More
17 years 6 months ago #610 by Norman
SPAM was created by Norman
No, the Guestbook is not being Spammed but users are being accused of writing Spam.

I have taken a look at some of the messages that have not made it to the Guestbook and cannot see why they are being seen as Spam. One factor is that some (possibly all) of the users who are getting this problem, sometimes write there message in MS WORD and then cut and paste into the Guestbook. I have told them that using MS WORD is not a good idea because of the hidden formatting characters. Am I right or wrong. :?:

I also took one of the messages and pasted into Notepad. There did not appear to be any odd looking characters so I cut and pasted the text into the Guestbook. It was seen as Spam :!:

Thanks, Norman

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 years 6 months ago #611 by Pete
Replied by Pete on topic SPAM

Norman wrote: I have taken a look at some of the messages that have not made it to the Guestbook and cannot see why they are being seen as Spam. One factor is that some (possibly all) of the users who are getting this problem, sometimes write there message in MS WORD and then cut and paste into the Guestbook. I have told them that using MS WORD is not a good idea because of the hidden formatting characters. Am I right or wrong. :?:

It depends what you have set in your spam filter function. Email me your configuration file and I will take a look.

Norman wrote: I also took one of the messages and pasted into Notepad. There did not appear to be any odd looking characters so I cut and pasted the text into the Guestbook. It was seen as Spam

Yeah, that's usually enough to filter out special characters (notepad doesn't support all special characters, so in a way it filters them out for you, which makes it hard to see them)

DigiOz Webmaster
www.digioz.com

More
17 years 6 months ago #612 by Norman
Replied by Norman on topic SPAM
Hi Pete,

Config.php winging its way to you.

Thanks,
Norman

More
17 years 6 months ago #613 by Pete

Norman wrote: Hi Pete,

Config.php winging its way to you.

Thanks,
Norman

I looked at your config.php file. Everything seems to be in order. So the only way those visitors could end up getting a spam notice is if their IPs are on the ban IP list. Is that the case?

DigiOz Webmaster
www.digioz.com

More
17 years 6 months ago #615 by Norman
Replied by Norman on topic SPAM
Pete, Are you saying that they would get the Guestbook's Spam message, that is, the message that is coded in.

If these guys are on the Spam list, then it does not affect every message they try to post.
One particular guy attemped to post the same message about six times and it was always seen as Spam :!:

I am confused :?

Thanks,
Norman

More
17 years 6 months ago #616 by Pete

Norman wrote: ...
If these guys are on the Spam list, then it does not affect every message they try to post.

Actually, if these guys are on the blocked IP (spammer list), it WOULD affect every message they try to post. So double check to make sure that's not the case.

DigiOz Webmaster
www.digioz.com

Time to create page: 0.127 seconds