SPAM

More
17 years 6 months ago #623 by Pete
Replied by Pete on topic SPAM
Wow! I have never heard of such a thing! Are you sure you have administrative rights to the PC on which you are working? It almost sounds like a permission problem. :(

DigiOz Webmaster
www.digioz.com

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 years 6 months ago #624 by Norman
Replied by Norman on topic SPAM
Yes, I log into my own account but I am the Administrator.

I could log into the Administrator account and give it a go but I do not believe it will make any difference.

Norman

More
17 years 6 months ago #625 by Pete
Replied by Pete on topic SPAM
Norman,

Glad to see you finally got .NET 2.0 Framework to work somehow! Got your email along with the asciified string you mailed me. The characters that are most likeley causing the error are:
Code:
“ (ASCII 147) ” (ASCII 148)

Which are basically the MS Word style quotes. Try removing those from the text and adding the message to the guestbook. It should go through fine.

To fix this issue, simply do a replace() and replace those two characters from the body of the message before submitting it to the data file.

DigiOz Webmaster
www.digioz.com

More
17 years 6 months ago #626 by Norman
Hi Pete,

Yes, I have been doing some work on the file too. I found the same as you plus ASCII 146. I converted all of these to ASCII 39 which is a single quote mark. I also found two ASCII 150 characters so I converted them to ASCII character 45 which is a dash or hyphen.

OK, I thought, that's cracked it. I posted the changed file to the Guestbook but alas it was still seen as Spam. The mystery goes on.

Norman

More
17 years 6 months ago #628 by Norman
Hi Pete,

I cracked it but there must be a bug.

I replaced all of the ASCII codes above 127 with something suitable but the message was still seen as Spam. I gradually narrowed down the Spam to be the following string,

"so many"

In the config.php Spam Array I had "soma". When I removed that word from the Spam Array and uploaded the modified config.php, the problem had gone. The original message with MS Word's formatting, that is, characters with a code of 146, 147, etc.,
was no longer Spam.

So the question is, why does the string "so many" get a match with "soma". Does the code remove the spaces before it does the Spam check so that "so many" becomes "somany". If so we will get a match on "somany".

This will probably explain why the message_spam.log has a number of different messages that never made it to the Guestbook.

Norman

More
17 years 6 months ago #629 by Norman
The spamDetect function called from add.php which is in functions.php does a str_replace on $string which is $yourmessage. This replaces all spaces ( " " ) with a null or empty strings ( "" ) and holds it in $tmp_string.

I have just typed that from memory so there might be something not exactly correct.

So, why do we remove all the spaces before we do a Spam check :?:

Thanks,
Norman

Time to create page: 0.125 seconds